Monday, June 8, 2009

Polyphobia


I consider myself a relatively liberal, open-minded person. Pro-choice, pro-gays, yadda yadda...

So why can't I get down with polyamory? This question has been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I'm reading a great anthology called Looking Queer: Body Image and Identity in Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay, and Transgender Communities (before I continue, I have to say that it really irks me that the words 'polyamorous' and 'transgender' are considered spelling errors. Get fucking with it, Spell Check). I was reading the "About The Editor" section before starting the book, and was immediately impressed by how well-educated, active, and passionate this woman was. Then I read the very last line: "She lives with her three partners and their young son." I have to confess I did a double take. I might even have said, "What?!" ... or maybe not. I don't remember. Whatever. My point is, I clearly need to step back and reflect on what it is about polyamorous relationships that makes me so uncomfortable. 

Let's talk about homophobia for a bit. I know that homosexuality and polyamory aren't the same thing, but some of the same concepts apply in terms of lack of acceptance. Most of us are taught from an early age that love/intimacy/marriage/etc. should be between a man and a woman, and for many of us, that's all we know growing up. If that's the case, meeting a gay person later on in life will likely seem foreign to us, and we'll be more likely to be uncomfortable with it or even condemn it. A huge part of homophobia comes from not being exposed to gay people and couples, and not being made aware that they're just regular people who happen to be attracted to the same sex. I've met many strongly homophobic people who are now protesting Prop 8. All it took was meeting one gay man, who welcomed them into his life and helped them unlearn their prejudices. This change of heart obviously didn't happen overnight but happen it did. They grew up not knowing gay people, and now they do; now they see that homosexuality is not such a big deal. 

But who do I know in a successful polyamorous relationship? Who do I know in any kind of polyamorous relationship? Well, Jodi from "The L Word" was polyamorous for a while... does she count? I don't think so. I never saw polyamory as a big deal with Jodi, because I was just positive from the start that Bette would win her over and help her embrace monogamy... which is exactly what happened. By the time they were really together in Season 4, Jodi was as monogamous as any of the other women. Also, Jodi isn't real.

Since I have not met any people who practice polyamory, I'll at least read about them in the meantime. I don't like this feeling of close-mindedness; I'm confident that I just need to see a little more... learn a little more...  and it'll change. 

I'll leave my two faithful readers with a semi-related music video by Peaches. 




4 comments:

  1. make that 3 faithful readers now! =)

    about polyamory....another thing you have to keep in mind is that while the true concept of the word might represent the dedication one has to multiple partners and their offspring, many people often associate the word having strong ties to the concept of being unfaithful. Society still has a general notion of love being a specific emotion between a particular number of partners, that particular number being 2. When we tack on another partner, we basically shake the foundations of social norm usually creating a negative response to the majority, which is why words such as slut and whore are created to denote a sense of derogatory unfaithfulness.

    The concept of polyamory is something very alien to me, but again there is the social dogma that love is between two and two people only. The concept of singular devotion has a very high correlation to love, and it's responded to with negative reactions I think because it questions alot of these preconceived notions of loyalty and faith to one partner and one partner alone.

    I dunno I've started to rant....but all this makes sense in my mind I swear hahahaha. GREAT POST!!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wen i here polamory i think of a cult

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really looked into polyamory until after reading this, and I must say my fav. definition I've found is, "responsible non-monogamy." lol.

    Anyways, Jodi always got to me because she was giving Bette a hard time in the begining, not wanting her to be jealous, and then when Bette told her she was in love with Tina, Jodi was all, "Do you think it's possible to be in love with two people at once?? NO I DONT THINK IT'S POSSIBLE" and freaked out, in sign language.

    Anyways, I was skimming over the rest of your posts and I'm totes jealous that you went to that Times Talk thing. I read on Autostraddle about how dumb Ilene Chaiken was and how awesome J-Beals was the whole time. If season 6 didn't suck so much, I would almost feel bad for Ilene Chaiken.. almost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Carol

    Responsible non-monogamy haha.. That should be a song or like the title of a TV show or something.

    I always liked Jodi. I thought she was a really cool person and would make a great partner.. just NOT for Bette. Stay AWAY from Bette! Bette and Tina forever!!!!

    Can I just tell you how many erm... not smart decisions I made in order to get to Times Talks? Like, seriously. I was in DC and should have flown into Boston, where I go to school. Instead, I bought a ticket back to NYC just for that one day. ALSO, before I found out about the event, I bought bus tickets which went to waste since the bus left the morning of the interview. I had to get another ticket the morning after. In short, I essentially paid 5 million dollars to meet this woman.

    And yeah, she was brill and Chaiken was wack.

    ReplyDelete